Now that it's nearing to Halloween and Bonfire night what best to get me in the mood than making some home made Toffee Apples. This is my first time ever making these as it's something I've never thought of really and my husband looooves them.
I thought I would coat them in some sprinkles because why not?! We need to have them looking pretty enough to picture and eat nom nom nom
If you would like to make these too you will need....
4 apples *this recipe will be enough for 5/6 apples*
200g Caster Sugar
2 tbs Maple Syrup
Red food colouring (optional)
- Place your sugar and water into a stainless steel pan and put on to a medium heat *do not mix with a spoon at this stage as you will crystalise the sugar*
- Whilst you are waiting for your sugar to melt in the pan, wash your apples and dry well as this will take the wax coating off them and help your toffee sauce to stick and put your lollipop sticks into the bottom of the apple
- You can now add your Maple Syrup and stir with a stainless steel spoon and put onto a higher heat until it starts to bubble, you can also add red food colouring at this stage to make your sauce a brighter colour.
- If you don't have a thermometer, you can test if its read by dipping a spoon with sauce on it into a glass of cold water, if the sauce hardens when removing the spoon it's ready!
- Now swirl your apples into the toffee sauce letting the excess drip off and then dipping them into a bowl of your chosen sprinkles.
- Place them on to baking paper to set, do not put onto your worktops as they are very sticky and you don't want to ruin any of your kitchen worktops
Let me know in the comments below if you will be making these?
Love Gill x